Thursday, February 18, 2010

Blizzard 2010 - Snowed In...

With all the snow that we got in the last week, MicroStrategy offices were closed, and the girls' schools were closed for the entire week.  We essentially didn't even bother trying to go out - especially since it took almost a week for our streets to be plowed.

But we had plenty of fun at home.  With Arturo home that week to help with the girls, I was able to plan a lot of fun activities for Emma and Alexa.  Arturo did his share also - I found him teaching the girls how to play chess one morning!



Our crayon box has gotten really out of control.  So one morning, our "activity" was to dig out all the crayon nubs and peel off the paper.  It actually took us a long time to do this, and we got tons of different colors which the girls then mixed and matched in muffin tins.  I melted them in the oven, and when they resolidified, they had brand "new" rainbow crayons!






Another day, I took out some pre-made pie crust that I keep in our freezer, defrosted it, unrolled it - and let the girls go to town with all our cookie cutters.  They decorated with sprinkles and sugar, I baked it - and voila...! Afternoon snack that they helped make!



Tessa's biggest recent activity has been sucking on her fingers/hand/anything she can get her hands on.  The slobber factor is adorable though!


The girls and I made Snow Ice Cream!  We put on our snowgear, went outside, found a "clean" patch of snow - and filled our big mixing bowl with it... Then we mixed it with different stuff - maple syrup, chocolate syrup, sweetened condensed milk, etc... to make all different flavors of "ice cream."  It was my first time doing this - and it was surprisingly good!  The girls got such a kick out of making their own ice cream.  I'm horrified to say we actually finished the entire bowl of snow that we brought back in...


I spent most nights after the girls went to bed, looking online for free printable worksheets.  The girls devoured them each day - they love doing their "homework."  Here's Alexa working on some addition.  (Notice how in many of these pictures, the girls are in their PJ's.  I think we might have spent a good portion of the week all in our PJ's.)




Here are the girls working on their "Tortilla Snowflakes."  There is no shortage of tortillas in our house - so I grabbed a stack of flour ones from the fridge, got the food scissors and let the girls go to town cutting out snowflakes with the tortillas (just as you would make a paper snowflake).  Then they took pastry brushes and painted the snowflakes with melted butter.  Popped them in the oven for about 10 minutes to crispen up - and then let them shake powdered sugar on and eat them! 




Emma dubbed this one her Tortilla Alien...

No comments: